The International Standards Organisation, ISO, have published a new standard, ISO 8124-6, which lays down methods of analysis for the determination of six toxic phthalate plasticisers in toys. The phthalates concerned are:
- di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP);
- benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP);
- bis-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP);
- di-n-octyl phthalate (DNOP);
- di-iso-nonyl phthalate (DINP); and
- di-iso-decyl phthalate (DIDP).
The work on developing the standard was led by the Standardisation Administration of China (SAC).
It is important that internationally-agreed methods of analysis for these compounds are available to help trade and enforce regulations such as REACH.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment